I’m an Assistant Professor at the Dept. of Computer Science, National University of Singapore (NUS). My main research interest is in human-AI/robot collaboration; I seek to combine the capabilities of humans and intelligent machines to derive something more than the sum of its parts. Currently, I’m very interested in developing trustworthy collaborative robots. My main tools are in machine learning, encompassing both probabilistic modeling and deep learning, and I also run HRI experiments to gain inspiration or validate that our models actually work with people.
I currently teach CS2040S (Data Structures and Algorithms) and CS5340 (Uncertainty Modeling in AI).
Some history: Before coming to NUS, I worked on robots that help children get around, continuous robot/machine learning, controlling disease spread, and self-driving cars. I was a graduate student in the Personal Robotics Lab at Imperial College London under the supervision of Yiannis Demiris where I worked on online learning and model building for assistive robotics. As part of my PhD, I designed and built two smart robotic wheelchairs that help young children explore their environment safely. I was then awarded a SMART Postdoctoral Scholar fellowship to pursue independent research at MIT‘s SMART Center, where I was mentored by Emilio Frazzoli. I did a second postdoctoral fellowship at the Cognitive Engineering Lab (CEL) and Data-Driven Decision Making (D3M) lab at the University of Toronto, with Greg Jamieson and Scott Sanner.
- Best Paper Award Finalist, Robotics Science and Systems (RSS), 2018
- Best Paper Award Finalist, ACM/IEEE Human Robot Interaction (HRI), 2018
- Best Long Paper Award Runner-up, ACM Recommender Systems (RecSys), 2018
- SMART Postdoctoral Scholar Fellowship Award, Singapore-MIT Alliance, 2014
- Best Cognitive Robotics Paper Finalist, IEEE/RSJ IROS, 2012
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, School of Computing, 2018/19
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, School of Computing, 2017/18
- James Dyson Award National Finalist (UK), 2012
- Design London Fellow, 2012
- Khazanah Global Scholarship, 2009-2013
- Regents Scholarship, University of California, 2000-2004